Thursday 13 February 2020

Exploring 'Love of Design' with Jaime Hayon

BD Barcelona has always been an atypical brand;
focused on cultivating beauty, in some cases, above function.


Characterised by superior quality, short-series productions, and artisanal manufacturing, BD designs often have more proximity to art than industrial design. Fusing the worlds of design and fine art might not seem straight-forward to some, but to Spanish born designer Jaime Hayon it's second nature.

"I'm this meticulous guy on one hand; and on the other I'm someone super bizarre whom nobody understands," explains Hayon. "For an exhibition I'll do a green chicken rocking chair with a supersonic nose. People may argue, 'what the hell is that? That's not a chair," he continues, referencing one of his early creations. "But it doesn't matter, because it's in this sort of hybridity where innovation lives."

We hope you enjoy our "love of design" discussion with whimsical artist/designer Jaime Hayon.

Shop BD Barcelona
Designer Jaime Hayon

"My design work is about questions and discovering new colourful
forms and techniques. I am inspired by my life, my experiences and my family.
To start a piece, I always look for challenges in materials and in themes that
I find curious or motivating!"

 

"If you experience an emotion because an artwork
or piece of furniture is speaking to you, that's
good storytelling."

 

"For the Dino Chair, I wanted to take advantage of my previous experience
with moulded and upholstered seatings, to develop a new armchair that would be as
comfortable as possible within unique dimensions. The chair is 
slender from whichever
angle you look at it. It 
has a sculptural form and a lovely profile, similar to that of
a dinosaur,  from which the name comes"

JH

 
Dino Chair
BD Barcelona  
Happy Yetti
BD Barcelona 

"From when I was little, I  found the Yeti story funny - a snow monster who
frightens those that go to the north pole. An ironic twist of the Happy Susto vase, the
Happy Yetti not only has decorative purpose, but also artistic and an emotional
value where a sense of humour fits in."

JH

 
Explorer Tables; Type 1, Type 2, Type 3
BD Barcelona 

"A series of side tables, Explorer 1, 2 and 3 were designed to be playful
and remind one of jelly-beans. This childlike inspiration has at the same time a very elegant beauty which generally is characterised in my designs. It's about new shapes, different objects within the market that want to convert into emblematic pieces because these tables are not only functional but sculpturally strong."

JH
More from the Designer
Shop BD Barcelona
© Living Edge, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
info@livingedge.com.au

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment